First, products that people want to buy and use are built by exceptional teams. However, getting to become an exceptional team takes a lot of work and understanding to create alignment. This is where Team discovery will help.
Aligned teams make better decisions
Working in cross-functional teams has its fair share of ups and downs. On one hand, cross-functional teams bring expertise to the table that you or your team do not have. Similarly, on the other hand, other teams may not share the same values or goals as you.
Also, Product managers have a huge responsibility with little to no authority and therefore they must lead with influence.
In other words, Product managers need to communicate, Negotiate & Evangelize effectively while building trust and confidence in Product teams.
Finally, none of these skills are taught in schools or universities. It is expected you learn on the job and sometimes organizations do not have the resources to mentor their teams.
Without team alignment
Have you worked on a team where it seems like things just don’t click?
You think they do, and as the company starts to scale or as team members change you start losing track of what’s going on.
Consequently, the communications are unstructured and mixed messages are received, the left-hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing. Hence, there is no clear sense of direction and team members are fast losing interest.
Furthermore, teams are arguing and escalating to management.
As a result, you end up working late to actually do the job you were hired to do and nothing seems to move in the right direction.
Create team alignment with Team discovery
Team Discovery is an experience releasing publically in 2020 designed to facilitate becoming an exceptional team, creating alignment, and reducing silos.
However, if you are an organization looking to bring this into your team, schedule some time here.
This experience will teach you how to be curious about how other team members think, what drives them, what problems they face, and above all what success looks like to them.
Benefits of working in an aligned team
In contrast, imagine working in a team where things start to flow.
- The team knows what they are working on individually, as a functional team, part of the larger team.
- Consequently, communication is improved.
- Everyone on the team is invested in the outcome and is working hard to succeed.
- Decisions are made faster.
- Team members want to come to work and work hard. They are engaged and motivated.
- Finally, team productivity and performance increases reducing waste.
Do you want to work in an aligned team?
Team Discovery is an experience releasing publically in 2020 designed to facilitate becoming an exceptional team, create alignment, and remove silos.
This experience will teach you how to be curious about how other team members think, what drives them, what problems they face, and what success looks like to them.
However, if you are an organization looking to bring this into your team schedule some time here.
Team Discovery can be delivered in a one day workshop in person or a four-week online workshop.
If your working towards team alignment then you *need* to talk to other team members.
Be curious about how they think, what drives them, what problems they face, and what success looks like to them.
Can we call this team discovery.
Interested in learning how?
— Pradip Khakhar (@pradipcloud) January 2, 2020
What you can expect to learn
Module 1 – The foundations of team alignment
The first module shapes your mindset and teaches you how to approach the alignment process.
You will learn:
- Communicating the reason for bringing this team together. With this information identify and agree on shared objectives.
- To identify what is needed to meet the shared objectives in terms of labor, resource allocations, inputs, assets, budgets, etc.
- How to get agreement and buy-in regarding the projects and initiatives you are proposing. At the same time defining the roles and responsibilities of the team members.
- To create a safe environment for identifying and managing risk.
Module 2 – Working in teams
The second module introduces practical tools and frameworks that you can immediately apply as you start working within your teams.
You will learn:
- Building influence by asking the “right” questions.
- How to communicate with different stakeholders while keeping the team energized and motivated during the tough times.
- Identifying the “real” issues or pain points and finding solutions that builds buy-in.
- Dealing with difficult team members that lead to difficult conversations.
Module 3 – Alignment in practice
The third module provides examples and templates to help you move away from the theory and into the practical world. Learn by doing.
You will learn:
- Creating a communications plan for stakeholders and developing tools to keep team members on track.
- Organizing and running meetings that are focused and decision-driven.
- To execute projects and initiatives with minimal disruptions.
- A framework for reporting to management and stakeholders.
Module 4 – Building trust
The fourth and final module focuses on building trust and long term relationships.
You will learn:
- The key elements of building trust within teams.
- How to effectively use 1-1 time.
- To create an environment where everyone can share constructive feedback.
- How to identify friction points while helping the team excel in their roles.
Want to know when Team Discovery is released?
In closing, Sign up to our Product Negotiations newsletter to be notified first.
Product Negotiations is The Product Angle’s newsletter.
In addition, we explore how to Communicate, Negotiate & Evangelize effectively while building trust and confidence in Product teams.
Join and level up your Negotiation and Product skills.